A new Tennessee law, effective July 1, 2013, allows Tennessee employees who hold valid permits to carry concealed weapons, to bring their weapons onto their employer’s parking lot, under certain conditions. In light of this new law, Tennessee employers who wish to limit handguns and other weapons on their premises may do the following:
- Continue to post signs that weapons are not permitted on their property. The law allows employers to continue to prohibit weapons in the employer’s building, and it allows employers to continue to prohibit weapons even in parking lots, if the employee or visitor does not have a valid carry permit.
- Adopt a policy requiring any employee who brings a gun to work in accordance with the statute:
- To park in a specific designated parking area of the employer’s premises,
- To notify the company that the employee has a weapon in the vehicle, and
- To provide proof to the employer that the employee holds a valid permit to carry a concealed weapon.