Bass, Berry & Sims attorney Tim Garrett authored an article for Workforce magazine outlining how the workplace can be considered the unintended battleground for cultural wars. In the article, Tim identifies the causes of this reality and the tension it creates; highlights certain “false” solutions; and provides a more effective, practical solution for working toward a coherent, team-oriented, positive work environment.
As Tim points out in the article, “employers have recognized the differing constituencies in the workplace and have begun evaluating how to balance the needs and rights they present. Savvy management knows that true leadership involves managing relationships in a way that promotes the desired workplace narrative.” He offers employers the following practical solutions to help create this type of work environment:
- Focus on relationships, not rules.
- Affirm what is best in others, rather than focusing on fearing the worst.
- Reinforce that all work has dignity and all workers deserve respect.
- Require performance management.
- Approach performance management with humility.
The full article, “Arming for the Workplace Cultural Dynamics,” was published by Workforce on September 29, 2016.